Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A European Driving Lesson

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to drive on the world famous AutoBahn in Germany. Driving on the AutoBahn was the personal highlight of the trip - I mean who else has the chance to legally drive 235 kph (146 mph) on public roads?

Another interesting part of the trip was witnessing the driving etiquette on the Autobahn. The left lane is the passing lane - period. If you're in the left lane, it's to pass someone, and then you move back to the right lane - nobody really cares how fast you're going.

If you need to pass someone, get in the left lane, pass, then move back to the right lane. I was truly impressed to see that everyone followed that rule, even at speeds over 100 MPH.

Why can't Americans do the same?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

americans, logic and etiquette; 3 words that cannot be combined

Anonymous said...

Because Americans cant drive..I am an American..I drive with these idiots everyday...they ride the left hand lane and it just wears me out, and no they wont get out of the way..they think as long as they do the speed limit they are fine...they are complete idiots..